Tell me… Have you ever wondered how Snowmen Solve Story Problems?! Read on to find out (your students will be SO happy that you did)!
You and your students will enjoy this math winter themed packet (perfect for January) while learning more about how to story problems correctly! This packet includes an adorable snowman chart (see pic below) with the steps needed to solve a story problem:
- Read the story problem
- Show your work
- Solve the problem
- Check your work
How cute is this snowman chart!? Although he’s really not so little! When put together, he is about 22 inches tall – perfect for your math wall!
My students always have so much fun being in charge of different story problem roles (solver, shower, reader, checker) while solving story problems together! This is a really engaging group activity!
This snowball activity is sure to be a hit with your students! Throw paper snowballs (or anything, really) around the classroom? YES, PLEASE! Each paper snowball has a story problem inside it. To start the game, your students will start with a paper snowball in their hand. They will get to throw it ONE time. Then, after they have thrown it, they will grab a new snowball that is close to them and solve that story problem on their worksheet. After a few minutes, you can repeat and play again! (At my school, throwing snowballs at recess is against the rules, so my kids really loved this activity!)
- 22 inch Snowman Chart w/ accompanying worksheet
- 16 Practice Pages (addition with 2 and 3 addends, subtraction, and mixed addition/subtraction story problems)
- Password Activity (to help students remember the steps to solve a story problem)
- Group Activity (students solve story problems together by each having a job)
- Snowball Fight Activity (students throw paper snowballs that have story problems in them; then students solve the story problems)