Have you ever made leprechaun hats? Not for your students, but hats for the actual, “REAL” leprechauns?? They are so fun and your students will LOVE them! To make the hats, you will need to decorate Styrofoam cups with markers (I used 8 oz cups). Then your students will leave them on their desks for the leprechauns… and that’s when the magic happens!
During the night, while your students are away from school, the leprechauns will visit. They will “magically” shrink the hats so they will fit even the tiniest of leprechauns. (To make the magic happen you’ll need to do a little baking though, so be prepared to take them home overnight!)
When your students return to school, the next morning, this is what they will see on their desks and they will be SO EXCITED! (Turns out Keebler E.L. Fudge Cookies are perfect for this, because they look like tiny leprechauns and can stand up on their own.)
Shrinking Hat Directions:
- Decorate the styrofoam cups with markers.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit).
- Place 3 or 4 Styrofoam cups upside down on a cookie sheet. Be sure to leave plenty of space between each cup so they won’t stick together.
- Put the cookie sheet in the center of the oven.
- Keep a close eye on the cups while they shrink. This part is super cool!
- Take them out after a minute or so (when they stop moving). BE careful and DON’T leave them in too long or they will burn!
- Place the tiny hats on Keebler E.L. Fudge Cookies.
Looking for more? This March math activity will help your students practice measuring with a non-standard unit (shamrocks). My students loved searching the classroom (with their shamrock rulers) for something to measure. This is a fun, educational activity that will help you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at school. I love teaching non-standard measurement and this packet makes it so easy!
- Shamrock Rulers (in color and B&W)
- Measurement Board Game (in color and B&W)
- Measure and Graph Activity (in color and B&W)
- Short/Medium/Tall Shamrock Worksheets
- Measure the Classroom Activity
- Measure Your Home Activity (for Homework)
This Shamrock Measuring packet is also included in this March Activities Bundle, along with Shamrock Bingo, Gold for Good Behavior, and March Writing Activities. Remember, buying bundles is the best way to get the most bang for your buck! Click on the image below or head on over to my TpT Shop HERE to check it out and learn more.